Frequently Asked Questions...
What is the Metro NY Illini Club?
We are a regional supplemental chapter of the University of Illinois Alumni Association. We welcome alumni and friends of all three campuses of the University of Illinois. We host social events, cultural outings, alumni networking, student recruitment, and community service activities in the New York City area!!
How is the Club related to the University of Illinois Alumni Association?
The Alumni Association provides direction for our Club and co-sponsors selected Club events. The Club maintains its own membership list and e-mails only to Club members. Sometimes, the Association helps us advertise an event by mailing our flyer to their NYC-area members.
Who are our members?
We have members who graduated in the 1960s and everywhere in between. They live in all five NYC boroughs, as well as Long Island, Westchester and Rockland counties, Connecticut, and New Jersey. Singles, marrieds, even a few U of I couples. Some were born and raised in this area and were out-of-staters at U of I; some were originally Midwesterners. Our messages reach about 2,000 members in the area with active members of about 300.
What kinds of social events do we offer?
We try to offer a variety of programs since we have such a diverse membership. Some highlights include:
• Nathan & Julie Gunn Concert, Alumnus and current university Professor
• Host The Other Guys, men's acapella group, when they visit NYC for a performance
• John Williams conducting the New York Philharmonic, playing music from his film scores
• New York Cares volunteering with other Big Ten Clubs twice a year
• Fighting Illini Football and Basketball watching at a sports bar
• Annual Club dinner with guest speakers from campus
• Big Apple Illini of the year (Bill Geist in 2010, Will Leitch in 2011)
How often do we have events?
About once a month.
What do we do besides social events?
We select several U of I freshmen from this area each year as winners of our Club scholarships. We also host a party near the end of each summer for all of the area incoming freshmen to meet each other and ask any questions they may have about the U of I. Our Club and the Office of Admissions co-host a reception in the spring for all area high school students who have been accepted to the University of Illinois.